Apply Now: WNY Choreographers Initiative
Attention choreographers: NYSCA partner NYS Danceforce is now accepting applications for the new Western New York Choreographers’ Initiative!
The WNY Choreographers’ Initiative is a new program designed to help WNY resident choreographers working in all dance genres develop their skills through resources including:
- A $2,500 choreographer stipend
- Rehearsal fees of up to $3,240 to compensate professional dancers
- Creative studio time, including up to $600 in rental fees
- Professional mentorship, with a $1,500 stipend for a mentor of the choreographer's choosing
- Travel expenses for mentor and dancers
Priority will be given to applicants who demonstrate a commitment to developing their artistic profile within their community over the next five years.
The deadline to apply is April 2, 2018.
Applicants will be evaluated on:
- Artistic excellence
- Project excellence
- Impact on the artist’s development
Each choreographer who receives an award through the program will:
- Complete a residency program over three consecutive weekends, culminating in a work-in-progress showing or open rehearsal
- Meet with a mentor of their choosing twice during their residency
- Hire dancers who are New York State residents